Repointing definition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having extensive building work done on my house. The contract includes a new roof and on my request additionally states "to include chimney repoint".

I thought that meant raking out and redoing all the pointing. They've instead patched loose and missing pointing. I'd guesstimate about 1/16th of the total pointing has been redone. Is there any ambiguity in the wording "to include chimney repoint"?

Sponsored Links
I would guess that’s going to be hard for you to argue, the term re-point doesn’t explicitly state all of it.

however If they haven’t raked out properly on the bits they have done, that is not proper repointing.

"Chimney repoint" implies repointing the whole chimney.

"Patches" or "isolated areas" would be worded as such in schedules of work.

Thanks both. Seems opinion is split 50:50 so far (assuming you discount my biased opinion, and therefore my tendency to give Woody's reply more credence), so I'd very much welcome a few more perspectives.

Sponsored Links
That's wise. :cool:

In the world of contracting, and schedules of work, a chimney is an "item" ie a singular unit, and reference to an item applies to the whole, not parts.

The words chimney repoint indicate a full repointing, not just an area the builder may 'think' needs doing.
As Woody says, it has to all be done and done properly, which involves raking out all joints, (vertical and horizontal), to a depth sufficient to apply the new mortar correctly.

Thanks. Your rationale makes perfect sense to me, and will certainly help if they contest my position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back