Repointing gable end wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As an electrician, repointing isn't my forte!
However, as I have a little spare time I'm wanting to give it a go, can't be that hard can it?

What's the best way to rake out the mortar? It's actually quite soft from around half way up so I may just work on that area for now and leave the harder mortar lower down alone for now.
I have an angle grinder but unfortunately only 3 tier ladders for access so that'll be fun!

When it comes to repointing, I've been advised that a mortar gun would be ideal. I've seen a Roughneck kit for around £17. Would anybody recommend that?

Thanks for any advice at all.

Sponsored Links
You you ideally need a 4" grinder and a 10mm disc - not one of the thin cutting discs.

The only reasonably good gun is the Pointmaster. I've mentioned it in the tools forum years ago. But even then, you need a specific mix and consistency, and it helps if the bricks are of a certain absorbancy and the joints are of a convenient size. Definitely avoid any gun that resembles a mastic gun with a trigger.

The problem is, pointing requires wet joints, damp bricks and dry-ish mortar. This is not easy using a gun, and can end up like a smudged mess - a bit like when the sparks make good plaster after a re-wire :rolleyes:

As an electrician, repointing isn't my forte!
However, as I have a little spare time I'm wanting to give it a go, can't be that hard can it?

What's the best way to rake out the mortar? It's actually quite soft from around half way up so I may just work on that area for now and leave the harder mortar lower down alone for now.
I have an angle grinder but unfortunately only 3 tier ladders for access so that'll be fun!

When it comes to repointing, I've been advised that a mortar gun would be ideal. I've seen a Roughneck kit for around £17. Would anybody recommend that?

Thanks for any advice at all.

Avoid a grinder with a disc, unless you want to sand blast yourself and nick bits out of bricks.

Use an Irwin Mortar Rake, attach a dust extractor and you won't mind doing the repointing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-1050...=1537219218&sr=8-1&keywords=irwin+mortar+rake

Use a mortar gun but follow the instructions, you must use lime or it won't come out. Squirt it in so it also sticks 10mm to 20mm out, it will compress in with the pointing bar.

Sponsored Links
I'd be wary of using a grinder up a 3 tier ladder anyway....one catch and you're off.

I used a pointing gun a while ago. Just a cheapo one and success all depended on a really wet mix with a good glug of plasticiser. Luckily for me it was on a wall that isn’t visible. In future I’d go for a much dryer mix and a pointing trowel. Would stop the stains on the bricks from the sloppy mix. Might be technique.

I'd be wary of using a grinder up a 3 tier ladder anyway....one catch and you're off.
Secure the ladder to the wall and at floor level before starting if you don't want to use scaffolding. Then at least the main worry is falling off the ladder rather than also whether the ladder will fall off the wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back