Repointing garden wall - bit of a mess

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My father in law has tried to be helpful and repoint the garden wall. Its a victorian house and i didnt think there was much wrong with the wall, it has character.

Hes done a small section which has left the bricks gray. I assume the colour will go after washed but the render off those hes repointed does not match the remainder of the wall.

Can anyone offer any assistance as to suggestions to match the render, Im aware there are dyes that can be used?

Thanks in advance.

Ben View media item 60939 View media item 60940 View media item 60941

Sponsored Links
That wall needs demolishing, not repointing. Repointing in normal cement mortar will hasten the wall's demise.

That wall needs demolishing, not repointing. Repointing in normal cement mortar will hasten the wall's demise.

Hi Tony, thanks for your honesty. Its good to know that its beyond repair but for the moment i think ill ask him to leave the wall. Its a big job and one i dont have the stomach to entertain yet. If the wall degrades further then ill deal with it but its been standing for over 100 years.....

Hoagie;
If you intend leaving the wall for the time being, don't let him carry on with the pointing as it will look worse, and also the bricks will decay more rapidly (cement mortar traps moisture in the bricks rather than letting them breath and when ice forms and expands in the soft bricks in the winter....).

Sponsored Links
Tony, great. Already decided from an aesthetic point to have him stop but the "technical" reasons make sense. Thanks a lot.

It needs repointing with sand/lime and not cement. It will need raking out a bit to give the pointing a key. Turn around any bad bricks, or replace with some reclaims.

Don't let smudger loose on it again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back