Repointing slabs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Was thinking of repointing slabs in the garden and was wondering if I need to first remove the old mortar completely before putting new one or just the the main loose bits?
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220430_094603.jpg
    IMG_20220430_094603.jpg
    558 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
Remove it all if possible or at least to a clean edge.
You might find it hard to match the colour for a patch repair.
Did the pointing fail due to bad pointing or because the base is not stable?

Thanks, that's what I feared.
I'm not sure why the pointing failed, we moved in last year and if was already like that. Maybe it was just old, or just poorly done.
If you have any good tips how to quickly and efficiently remove old mortar, I would welcome them with open arms.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's what I feared.
I'm not sure why the pointing failed, we moved in last year and if was already like that. Maybe it was just old, or just poorly done.
If you have any good tips how to quickly and efficiently remove old mortar, I would welcome them with open arms.

If the slabs rock when you walk on them, I don't think any mortar will survive (I might be wrong though).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back