Reporting bad work?

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mums neighbours have been having an extension built over the garage for the last few months, and a couple of weeks ago the lady who lives there called my mums partner in to have a look at the work being done as she has some concerns.

He took a look and advised her to get a structural engineer out pronto because he didn't thing what they had done was safe or right.

They have put steels in but haven't put in proper footings, they have put a layer of bricks onto the existing (thin) concrete floor and put the steel on that. Some of the steels are hanging off the edge of the bricks.

The floor hangers for the first floor have been nailed through the pebbledashing and he didn't think there were enough fixings of sufficient strength to support the floor.

The sloping roof at the back has been built at the wrong pitch so joins the back of the house above the bottom of the window so it won't open (fire issues?).

The guys are still working on site today so it doesn't seem as though the owners have done anything, and despite the fact that he thinks the work is dangerous my mums partner won't report them because it is 'none of his business'.

The extension is right on the boundary line of my mums property and my concern is that if this thing collapses then it will fall into her house and damage it. Should I get involved and call the council, will they do anything?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't rely on building control. Tell your mum's neighbour to get a local chartered building surveyor to look and give her some advice.

Or you could get your own surveyor to have a look as you have concerns about this extension having an effect on your mums property.

If anything should happen and your mums property was damaged the insurers may well ask if you were aware, or had any concerns, about the extension next door, either when it was being built or after it had been completed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back