Criticism of Jiffy Hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder friend of mine popped round today and commented that everything had been built to last but that the jiffy hangers for the roof are an issue. He seemed to think the normal jiffy hangers I have used may cause issues down the line and suggested swapping them for heavy duty hangers or at least changing every other one. He even seemed to thing BCO may not like them.

Is that overkill or is there some sense behind the suggestion? Each hanger has a huge amount of nails but he says they are the standard cheaper hangers that are a thinner gauge steel.

Hangers are holding a flat roof over the extension and the 1str floor to the original house into the steels.

Sponsored Links
Jiffy hangers are good for most domestic spans. HD hangers are normally specified when the walls rely on the hangers for lateral restraint. A bit more info on the construction or some photos would help.

Photo below. The timbers are 9x2 spanning 3m max forming the roof to the extension. The roof is formed in 3 sections. Section 1 and 3 are hung from steels at 1 end and sat on wall plates at the other. Section 2 is hung from steels at both ends.

It would have been prefered that the joists didn't drop below the steel plate but the steel was already there and the joists were sized after.

Each hanger has 20-22 nails installed.

20211016_082333.jpg

Tain't going nowhere. Perfectly ok. Add noggins if you want to beef them up, but don't cut off ventilation - if it's a cold roof, that is.

Sponsored Links
Got a row of noggins mid span. It seems very strong. He just got me worrying when he said they could be prone to dropping as they aren't the heavy duty ones.

Nothing to worry about?

Why would these hangers be made and sold if they were no good for the situations they are made and sold for?

Couldn't agree more. Just got worried when he mentioned it.

On this basis can i assume they will be fine for the floor construction as well.

Bear in mind that hangers, joists and the deck above them act in a load-sharing situation so any load is spread across several or all the components. I can't imagine a situation when all let alone one hanger would fail.

Thanks guys that has settled the nerves. Need to get BCO out this week to sign off on the roof.

8x2's were specified but used 9x2 so that they sat just below the steel beam for the ceiling to fly under.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back