Speedy/Jiffy hangers for retrofit binder / or just banding?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm wondering whether anyone can suggest a speedy / jiffy hanger that can easily be inserted between plasterboard and joists in an existing roof. Alternatively could I use this :

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...anised+Banding+20mm+x+10+m/d210/sd2797/p60768

in an acceptable way (under>up>over-top>down-back and secure)?

To put this in context, I'm trying to firm up plans to beef up a 1960s lounge ceiling (no usage / access to the above space) which has survived with binders no thicker than its joists. The Joists are 4"x2" and span ~4.5m, 16" centres. I'm guessing the 4"x2" binders (two thereof) that run over the top of these are supposed to reduce the effective span of the joists to ~1.5m (even at that span trada tables suggest the existing joists are too small).

I'm drawing up plans to strengthen the roof with three binders, 75mm x 250mm, reducing the effective span to <= 1200mm, supported directly off of the internal load bearing walls.

I decided this might be a good idea having noticed a couple of years ago that one of the existing binders has been weakened by a plumber who has drilled six ~25mm holes ~32"->16" from its supported end. The ceiling also has a small (18mm) deflection. My understanding is that this situation has persisted for ~20 years. There are no cracks to the ceiling plaster in the below room ... but I just don't like it.

So, in summation, I'm looking for jiffy hangers / straps that can be easily inserted between the existing joists and plasterboard. Does anyone supply entirely flat approved straps for this purpose?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
anyone reckon I've posted this in the wrong section?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back