Reporting illegal gas workers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(Split from very old thread by Mod)

Its an absolute joke, gas safe ask us to report illegal workers but I can tell you they do nothing, the majority of jobs are carried out by illegals and most of them do a dangerous job, in our local pub I am the only gas safe registered engineer and I know 6 other guys who are not and they are 10 times busier than me !!!!

the problem is that we have to do everything correct and by the book and this is a good thing but we loose every customer after we have been and then they call the illegals... I do commercial and domestic in London and then whole situation is a joke, I should be so busy I never sleep but I find that nobody wants to do the job properly, its down to money.

All commercial users must have certification every year but more than 95% do not and its not enforced, gas engineers get battered for the smallest error but illegals get away with dangerous work, I see many companies who use illegals openly and don't give a damn about the consequences.

I could write a book about it, I don't know what to do, I contact the Environmental health and they do nothing, gas safe do nothing and that's the way it is, all engineers feel let down by the system in place to protect the customer but lets everybody down.

Restaurants in London are the biggest abusers of the safety laws, 95% are non compliant with the regulations and nobody is checking them out and they break the law openly. I went to approximately 500 sites last year and non of them was compliant YES NONE !!!!! and more than 50% were dangerous, yes I do what I should and notify and cut off but I am then the devil, loose my business and am abused. GOT TO BE A MORE ACCOUNTABLE SYSTEM

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

Sit down, talk to us. How does it make you feel?

Why head to the environmental health? They don't deal with this?

I hear and feel you're pain. Let it out, it'll all seem better after a sleep.

Sponsored Links
Jim, it is not uncommon to find folk working on their own think they produce top quality work. I say let there be more illegals to make an ar5e of he task- just more work for me when things go belly up ;)

Do not kid yourself thinking those that hold the 'ticket' can do no wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back