Reposition Megaflo isolating valve / strainer or not ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Megaflo unvented hot water cylinder, which is indirectly heated by a condensing gas boiler. I was going to reconstitute the air bubble in the cylinder and so went to turn off the cold water feed to the cylinder.

I understand that the mains cold water feed to the cylinder should be stopped using the isolating valve that has a small black lever sitting on top of the strainer. However, I cannot turn the black lever as the pipe is securely attached to the wall and this prevents the lever being turned clockwise.

I did stop the water using the main stop cock in the property, which is positioned close to the Megaflo, and this was OK for the short time needed to reconstitute the Megaflo’s air bubble. My concern is that if the cold water feed to the Megaflo needed to be stopped for any longer period of time, e.g. for repair, then I would not have any water in the taps or the toilet.

Is there a Megaflo isolating valve / strainer component that has a lever which turns anti-clock wise to isolate the water feed? If not, then is it worth having the existing pipe work altered slightly to allow the existing Megaflo isolating valve / strainer component to be positioned just further off the will by a few inches to allow the isolating valve to be used? This could be done at the same time as the likely replacement of motorized valve problem, which was the subject of a recent posting of mine.

As always, many thanks for your helpful advice.

Mutley56

Sponsored Links
I would keep it simple and fit a new stopcock on the cold supply before the combivalve and after the T from the mains to the rest of the house....Tchnically the valve needs to be accessible for servicing but thats the installers for you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back