Require electric but landlord says no

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

just a little history, our electric sockets, plugs etc installed in the house even though passed inspection, we have plug sockets that explode, some that have fused on permanently and more.

The last time this happened, the fault fused the socket switch to the on so it couldn’t be turned off. Our fuse board shut off, and it wouldn’t let any other rcd circuit to be turned on. I am autistic, disabled and take heavy duty painkillers, so I need equipment to live basically, which requires electricity. We called the house landlord people, to get someone to replace the broken socket, told them I need electricity especially at night, so it is an emergency and they need to fix the issue.

we were told that someone will come out in a few weeks and we obviously said this needs fixing now as we have no power and I need electricity for my equipment. We were then told to open the fuse board, hook an extension lead bypassing the fuse board altogether.

my mum was a school caretake/janitor/site manager/foreman/general repair person, and was trained to do these jobs, but was never a full qualified as an electrician, so she took off the broken switch and replaced it with another until they came out to fix it

is there something I can do, to update the house people that any loss of power is dangerous for me and is an emergency for the next time something happens, no doubt it will do again someday.

Sponsored Links
What do they do? Can they force the landlord to send someone? I am not fully sure but I think my doctor recommended that I don’t get a social worker involved in my health. I do have an O.T. Though, maybe they can do something as they were the ones who got all of the stuff that I need…

If the LL won't fix it SS can arrange it and charge the LL. If he doesn't pay up they can put a charge on the house until he does.

How long they would give the LL in your case is something you would have to discuss with them.

Sponsored Links
Social services have some clout, there are special arrangements for people who depend on electric for life, most equipment will have a battery back up, but for limited time, and it is all too easy for some one not to realise the time limit.

The NHS who provided the equipment, did not provide any battery backup system or a system for travel, so I would have to get a ups and longer term battery backup for those long nights.

Sockets don't normally explode and socket switches very rarely weld themselves closed without a very high current item being plugged into them. Your medical kit- any idea what current it draws? And does any of it use large motors that turn on and off occasionally?Any other heavy electrical loads (2 bar fires, electric hob on a 13A plug, that sort of thing).

The socket that was fused I would say as it’s in the kitchen, and directly above the deep fryer the fat got into the outer casing of the switch and got stuck, or weakened the plastic over time and made it brittle and this made it break so it couldn’t be turned off.

the plug that exploded hours after installation, I think it must of been faulty, the installation broke something or they didn’t wire up the plug sockets correctly.

my guesses are only guesses as I have no electrical experience, and I have only made these guesses due to watching YouTube videos from a couple of YouTubers Artisan Electrics and Cory Mac - ØY Electrical

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back