Requirements for FD30 fire doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a door installed between the house and the garage, the frame is a standard casing with 25mm stops BUT NO INTUMESCENT STRIPS - is this correct?

Sponsored Links
There should be an intumescent strip and I've had the building inspector notice that I hadn't fitted it on final inspection. The frame was grooved though and the strip is self-adhesive so it was only a case of sticking it in. I think you used to be able to get fire doors that were rebated for the strip, instead of fitting it in the frame, but I don't know if they are still available.

Thanks, there aren't any grooves so I'll have a word with the builder. Do the stops have to be 25mm?

Sponsored Links
The grooved frames that I've fitted have had 25mm depth stop but I don't think it's a requirement. The important bit is the gap between the door and the frame so that when the strip expands it clamps the door into the frame. The strips I've fitted have been 10mmx4mm. I don't see why you couldn't groove the door edge with a router and fit the strip into the door(unless someone knows different)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back