Reroof thermal insulation layer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help please.
I'm having a full reroof on my 1930's end terrace in the next few weeks. It's slate with torching and moving to tile with a breathable membrane. What do I need for insulation/building control? There's double loft floor insulation at the moment but nothing between the rafters. I can't find much on the forum.

Sponsored Links

Energy Efficiency​

As a roof is defined as a thermal element, the work to re-cover a roof should also include for improving the thermal insulation properties of the roof.

STANDARDS FOR NEW THERMAL ELEMENTS W/m2 k Element (1) Standards.
Gable Wall 0.28 W/m2.K(2)
Pitched roof – insulation at rafter level 0.18 W/m2.K

Last edited:
But as the roof is a cold roof at the moment, it is not a thermal element(contradicting the Planning Portal information above ) I just need:
  • i.e. re-roof covering, if possible 280mm of glass fibre insulation over the ceilings, with adequate roof void ventilation

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The insulation is at rafter level, as long as that is up to spec you don't have to do anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back