Rescue neglected (rarely serviced) engine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a late 2007 Corolla which I bought new. It has only done 30000 km since then. Its first service was approximately 2 years after it was bought and it has been serviced twice since then (i.e. in almost 4 years, 3 oil changes only). The mechanic has explained that when not changed often enough, the oil thickens, coats internal parts and can't really be removed which leads to failure of lubrication and engine death. My question is, is there anything I can do to try and reverse the problems that would have occurred in this engine? Are there, for example, products that I can add to the oil that will help restore it somewhat to how it should be?
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
you can buy additives that you pour into the system and run for 10 minutes before an oil change. Im not keen on them but i have used one once and it didnt cause any problems.
your best bet would be to do an oil and filter change and then another after a few days (providing you have driven a good few miles and got the engine hot) i cant see your engine being that badly sludged up if modern oil has been used in it

Personally I would doubt if the engine shows serious damage but once you've changed the oil and filter twice, then do monitor oil consumption for a while.
I don't know if you can access Forte engine treatments over there, but they are very effective and widely used over here.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back