1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Vauxhall Combo Van 2001 Timing Belt Isuzu engine 160kmiles

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by Nige F, 22 Nov 2015.

1. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's me again, after the lockout from the French Van I found a cheap combo . Good points- 9 months MOT, New rear drums and shoes, New front exaugst and cat, 2 previous owners, one for 10 years was a fleet and serviced from new. Bought of second one. Bad - no history and I need to know if the engine - Isuzu no turbo, no electronics diesel, injector pump behind block-IS it interference engine or not ??? cuz I've inspected the belt and it looks good BUT should I change it Now or Later after Xmas. Going to do oil+filter anyway. Cheers Guys.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Vauxhall advise replacement every 80k, and yes it is an interference engine.
    John :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Vauxhall say 100k or 10 years i think? This should be the Y17DT. If Y17DTL with DI badge then no intercooler but all have turbo.

Yes it has electronics, EDU behind the block will suddenly go and show a spill valve error. Every 70k or so. No big deal to change but maybe buy a spare?

If you dont know when belt was replaced then do it. Did wife's at 10 years and mine at 100k with full kit from AutoVaux.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the answer mfarrow, but there is definitely no turbo- the manifold is at the front and the injector pump/ inlet/injectors at the back - can't see the pump at all from above. Vaccum pump is on the back of the alternator. Body is a large box like thing reminiscent of a morris minor van and there is a wind deflector/ pod over the cab going onto the higher back roof - and that bit is as rot as a 60's car chassis:( That can be bodged and the proper body/chassis is not bad.

6. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry yes I've got my crossover from B to C wrong! You've got a Corsa-B base of course.

OK then just the tappets to watch out for (can stop it starting when cold).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An update - had the oil+ filter done before Xmas and just had the cambelt done there was a bit of noise coming from it !. Engine seems to pull a tad better now - is it my imagination or could slightly slack belt alter the valve timing ?

8. Sponsored Links
  9. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes it certainly can.....a slack belt ******* the injection timing slightly which can reduce power slightly and increase combustion noise.
    After a while, you'll not notice it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Peter.N.

Peter.N.

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think all diesels are interference engines or you couldn't get enough compression - just waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong.:cautious:

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  11. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think that has to be the way, Peter.....unless there's a side valve diesel out there somewhere!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Peter.N.

Peter.N.

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There was a thing called a 'Hesselman engine' John, a diesel with spark plugs, for marine uses. I had forgotten all about it until this discussion came up.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  13. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah yes - the forerunner of the gasoline direct injection engine I presume, using low compression and burning all sorts of rubbish fuels!
    I can only imagine the clouds of smoke that it would have chuffed out.....I can't recall any installation using one.

14. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    An update - just had a new starter motor and waiting for a new brake master cylinder (only thing it failed MOT on ) And a set of wheel trims for £6 from a boot sale (y) Extremely useful van with the high back - I can get a wheely bin standing up - handy with our 2 weekly collections.