reset needed after 30 minutes, won't ignite from timed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Lynx II Combi : 7 radiator system in 2 room, kitchen & bathroom ground floor flat.

The reset light comes on after about 30 minutes of efficient running and boiler obviously stands down till manually reset. Wait and then repeat!! This makes the timer settings useless because, if you haven't reset the button during the night, the boiler won't ignite at 6am when due to go out to do day shift as nurse. Not a good start to the morning.

Called BG engineer who replaced a heat sensor which was wet with mildly brown water when he showed me it. From this he said the system must be full of sludge and slapped a 'Powerflush Recommended' notice on the Homecare 200 service contract.

Now my OH tells me the system was cleaned (not by BG) late March while I was abroad and a chemical was also pushed through the pipes to seal any potential leaks. I am seeking the paperwork to verify this from the contractor since the property Factor instructed and oversaw the job, so don't know what kind of flush it was for certain. Is 'Powerflush' a brand name?

Have since checked the Terms & Conditions and this recommendation makes the BG contract worthless, they won't attend any water passing parts, which leaves not much else?? And this is costing £25 a month Direct Debit.

Anyway, previous history is that the pressure was going high off the scale then shutting the boiler down, so same engineer replaced the prv, the expansion vessel and a thermostat, several visits. It has only been since the flush that the boiler started to work like a dream, no pressure problems, sits nicely at 1.2 bar.

So, I haven't been able to contradict this engineer till I get the paperwork, but I will do with the Line Manager if required.

Question is; are there any other factors which would make the reset light come on that are unrelated to a dirty system? I have long suggested the pcb is dodgy because the other lights used to flicker on and off at inappropriate times and the wiring at the pcb is usually loose and corroded.

In effect, my contract has been made worthless because neither the engineer or I had full grasp of the facts. He is determined to diagnose (and already has done on the computer record) 'Powerflush Recommended' when I now know the system was flushed only 4 months before.

All radiators are warm from bottom to top with no cold spots, pump works fine.

Any other reasons for the reset light to come on? Any practical ways to confirm the system is now clean, remove a radiator and empty it to show him, drain the system and look for clear water or sludge?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK the reset light is linked to several boiler safety devices so not an easy one to solve.

Have you got TRV's on all the rads and no bypass? There must always be an adequate flow of water through the boiler.

The circuit boards on these are notroious for broken joints. First thing I do on these is repair the board.

Has the minimum and maximum burner pressures been checked?

Has the flame sense electrode been checked.

Does the boiler modulate correctly ie. as the rads reach temperature does the flame height reduce.

Have you tried turning down the CH temperature a tad?

etc etc :)

These boilers are now past it and most sound like a kettle on heating due to scale in the heat exchanger and carp pcb design (no range rating).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back