Potterton Lynx II reset keeps on but boiler not overheating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had British Gas Homecare 200 annual service during which I emphasised ongoing problem of the reset light/switch coming on after between 20 minutes to an hour of firing.

They have previously said my CH system is dirty even though I had it flushed with a Fernox cleaner, left for 7 days, drained down and refilled using Fernox inhibitor. This was as recent as 6 months ago, but carried out by an independant, not BG.

BG now say this is not adequate and a Powerflush should be done at £695 + VAT. They have offered no proof that the system is actually dirty except a CH sensor which was only mildly coloured with light brown water which evaporated. I would expect that discolouration of the water to be fairly normal? Surely, there is an easier way to prove or disprove how clean(or dirty) the system is?

While servicing, the engineer reconnected 2 loose/broken connections at the CH sensor - this had not been noticed by the previous engineer when he replaced the same CH sensor - temperature reading was constant at 62 degrees, and the boiler was shown to be modulating and stepping down as required. I suggested there may be further corrosion/loose connnections at the pcb but this wasn't investigated.

Soon as the engineer was gone, the reset problem started again!

7 radiator system with TRV's and no cold spots any place on any radiator. The engineer tried to say one radiator had a cold spot then admitted he was wrong once the system was fully fired up.

Pressure is nice and stable at about 1.5 bar.

BG are definitely pushing a new boiler on me. When I asked what would be the point of plumbing a new boiler onto what they are arguing (and guessing???) is a dirty system they looked a bit stumped then said they would put a Magnaclean Booster on for about £450 extra and maybe a little discount on the whole job.

I was given the Sales routine that it costs me £300 a year for the Homecare 200 service contract and because I would get the first year free (maybe even the second!) I would be quids in, like between £300 and £600 ahead of the game if I ignored the fact that they are presently contracted to service, maintain and replace available parts on my existing boiler and radiators.

My recent experience of BG is that they are only focused on Sales and the Service Contracts are only sold hoping nobody will ever claim on them. If you have a problem, I have felt bullied into feeling it is my fault and why am I bothering them anyway.

The first engineer said you could tell it was overheating because the front casing was very hot. Am I being fobbed off? The second engineer said all boilers of this age have very hot front casings, and anyway his readings showed 62 degrees and modulating correctly though he did at first try to say the flow and return were too hot to the touch, but this was before he took his readings.

Is it worth it to get an independant to fit a Spirotech Magnabooster (about £140 fitted)?

After that, I don't know what to do to keep BG happy, except maybe move house. They've only had 2 call outs about this problem so far. Any suggestions from the professionals are appreciated.

Potterton Lynx 2
http://www.partsarena.co.uk/baxi/System/DATA/Dx/DS1/installation/2511/I19-2511/I19-2511.htm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back