Residence 9 window install issues :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have had R9 windows fitted but having issues with all corners of each window walls being damp after rainfall.
IMG_7156.jpg

I have asked my builder to remove one of the windows to see what might be happening and found this.

IMG_6918.jpg

Can anyone advise what might be the problem?

Builder believes rain water is entering the walls via ends of the sill because not sealed properly??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
First thing that jumps out is the window frame has just been placed on the cill dry with no silicone, I bet a builder fitted these and not a window fitter.

Screenshot_20240130_211204_Samsung Internet.jpg

The cill should have had a bead of silicone running along the length in both red circles, and then each end should have been sealed/closed off shown in yellow with silicone so if/when the rain water is blown between the cill and window if it tracks sideways it gets to the silicone and can't get further and then drains away naturally, if you don't close the ends off with silicone you'll get wet plaster

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, I think I can see what you mean. It’s only when we have heavy rainfall / prevailing wind (which happens a lot due to exposed location) do the corners get wet.

Interestingly it was the window fitter that fitted the windows and it was the builder that suggested something might be wrong with the cills, so he offered to remove one to see what was going on.

This is what the builder did to help rectify the issue, looks like on the right lines but not gone far enough.
IMG_6925.jpeg

IMG_6926.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back