resilient bar sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello guys! just when you though i'd gone away for good, still here but just been swamped with work :D

so, to the post:

Doing a job this week, was just a straight forward skim but customer called to ask for studding and blue sounds boards on the party wall as he can hear his neighours speaking.

Told him the way to do it is to...and here's my method i would appreciate second opinions on:

1) Vertical timber 50mm studs at 600 centres.
2) 50mm isover between battens
3) Gyproc resilient bars fixed horizontally at 600 centres & vertically around perimiter
4) 1st layer of board fixed to bars using 20mm screws
5) 2nd layer of board fixed to bars using 38mm screws
6) skim!!

couple of questions i have having not used this technique/method before

1) do i need head and sole plates in the stud?
2) should i use gyproc sealant around the edges of the studwork?
3) should i use standard wallboard or use a layer of blue sound board?

Thanks as always fellas!

Sponsored Links
Your framework would be better constructed as a proper stud wall using CLS, it will be easier to work with and a fair bit stronger IMO, as for the rest im afraid I cannot help.

Sponsored Links
Ive only ever done one wall job like this,

We used the metal c track system.

Top and bottom plate, then 600mm centers,
Resiliant bars, with soundproof insulation, then two layers of blue boards,Skim.

yeah just like that! well except i built a timber stud in front of the party wall.

Got them up (1 either side of the chimney breast) today and ready for skimming.

took plenty of pics so i'll get them onto my PC and post them if anyone is interested?

was a very full days work on my own that was but enjoyed doing something i'd not done before, not going back to skim the room until monday so looking forward to seeing how much the noise has reduced, customer says prior to it he could clearly hear his neighbours words when he talked.

, could clearly hear his neighbours words when he talked.
thats awfull m8 thats why i moved out of my old house, the party wall was only one brick thick on one side, 4ins thick it was and you could hear everything, just normal everyday chat was loud it was like they were talking in the same room as me, we done each others heads in and it couldent be soundproofed because of the position of the windows and door frames, so i know how your client feels m8 hope its worked for him, im always interested to see other peoples work post the pics

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back