Screws for resilient bars?

MJN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit a new ceiling using resilient bars and am wondering what screws I should be using to affix the boards to the bars? Is this where the difference between coarse and fine threaded plasterboard comes into play? If so, my gut feeling is that it'd be the fine threaded screws that are more suitable for the 1mm sheet metal bars?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that - I did stumble across them when thinking I just had a choice of two! I've used similar before, albeit on thicker metal, and they worked well. I suppose here it is down to whether the self-drilling aspects is more useful than a super-sharp point of a conventional plasterboard screw. Could probably do with a couple of each just to try them out really as it'll soon be obvious which is easiest!

I put up two layers of boards on the bars; I used those “self drilling” ones for the first layer and more conventional pointed ones for the second layer (longer obviously). Both worked OK I think. Take care to get the right length, if they touch whatever’s above the bars they will conduct the sound.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming your fixing res bar to existing joists? If so fix them perpendicular to said joists with a coarse thread screw. Fix boards to res bar with a fine thread drywall screw. Important note when fixing boards to res bar is the screw should never fix through the res bar and the stud/joist the res bar is fixed to. It defeats the object of using res bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back