Resin coming up through window cill.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am restaining my conservatory, but a small section of one of the window cills has a glue like resin coming up through it. This has been the case for some time.
I have tried to seal it with natural shellac but only limited success.
I have now stripped the cill back to bare wood. Should I try again with the shellac, or use an aluminium primer, or something else?
Furthermore there are some slight ripples where I have sanded the cill slightly unevenly. The best way to remove these?
Thanks in advance from a relative novice! All advice appreciated..

Sponsored Links
I would prime it with zinniser bin. Not much will come through that and its a very useful stain block and primer/undercoat for difficult surfaces like varnish etc so useful to have.

Thanks for replies. The Ronseal product is for interior use by the looks of it. I need something that suits external, and can be stained. I will investigate the zinnniser!

Sponsored Links
Zinniser 123 can be used outdoors but is a white paint so obviously can not be stained. Clear knotting cmpound like rustins can be stained over.

So is the clear knotting solution likely to be more effective than the natural shellac?

Sorry i mistyped my last reply, i should have said that knotting can be varnished over but obviously not stained over. Of course knots bleeding through paint is a problem but i have never really encountered it as an issue with oil wax or varnish?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back