Windows: cill and casing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice regarding what to do with the cill and casing on my front windows. The house is a 1930's 3 bed semi, and the windows have been replaced at the front with UPVC double glased units. When this was done, whoever did it went PVC-tastic and in the reveals around the window they overlayed 5mm UPVC strips and covered the cill in an aweful PVC 'veneer'. Underneath these, it looks like the original wooded casing in the window aparture has been either cut and filled with cement, or the UPVC windows sit differently, and the gapw as filled with cement for some reason, hence the UPVC to cover it all up. I've done a quick model on sketchup to try and explain:

View media item 27338
The dark area close to the actual window is cement, and the lighter area is wood. This was all covered in UPVC.

...and heres a picture of behind one of the UPVC bits:

View media item 27337
I was just going to leave it as is, but as each day passed I really started to despise the UPVC so decided to pull it off, and take a look at what can be done to sort it. I was thinking on each side reveal I could use some thin ply to replace the PVC and paint it up, the ends being covered by the architrave around the window. The problem is the cill. it doesnt protrude much from the wall like it does on the back windows of the property (which are wooden double glazed units).

I was wondering what suggestions you might have to remedying this, bearing in mind we've completed the plastering etc around it now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back