Resin to fix reinforcing bar into brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As part of my cellar conversion the structural engineer has specified a (C30) poured concrete beam with 6 "T20" (20mm ribbed steel) reinforcing bars, each set 10cm into the brick walls at either side with "resin". That's all he has specified, "resin".

Plan is to drill slightly-larger-than-20mm holes, resin in, bar in.

Question is, what resin do I want? Places such as Screwfix and Wickes supply various types - but I don't know how to choose between them.

Would appreciate any advice!

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Will be by injection.

The stuff in that link seems to be suitable, as does the stuff from Screwfix and Wickes. Trying to work out what there is to choose between them really - if anything is suitable I'll use Wickes as it's closest and I can pick up more on the day if I need it.

Thanks for the reply!
-Mark

Sponsored Links
In case anyone stumbles across this thread looking for the same info, here's what I did:

Used Wickes Vinylester Resin, which was very very good in terms of strength - held the 2.3m long metal dowels by the prescribed 10cm at the ends with ease.

A few problems I encountered along the way:

First, it's very hard to get the resin out of the container. I have a decent "mastic" gun, and it took both hands and a lot of effort to "pump" it. Really very hard.

Second, it sets very quickly, including in the nozzle - even after being in the fridge over night, and in my cold cellar. Small tube comes with two nozels, large tube comes with one. I found it impossible to do fast enough that the stuff didn't set in the nozzle and block it, partly due to the first point - it's VERY hard to get it out of the tube. I think this may be basically impossible in hot weather, where it sets much faster (according to the instructions).

Third, if you drill right through, you won't get the stuff to sit in a hole which doesn't have a "back" in the same way mortar would. Quick squirt of expanding foam right at the back of the hole, leave for a couple of hours, just to get the resin to set sit in place, worked very well.

hilti use to do one called a hit kit,a 2 part mix in silicone type tubes and auto mix down the twisty nozzle.

By putting it in the fridge you hugely increased the difficulty of injecting it.

Whether keeping it at 20 C in the house would have made it cure too fast is another question,

When I did the same in the summer ( not with this resin ) I found it easier to inject at a higher temp rether than cool the resin.

Hi

Check out 'Helifix.co.uk' Go to Products/Grouts and Resins will also have applicators in other areas of the site.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back