Resistive load - LED lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've had an electrician add LED downlighters throughout my house. At lower dimming settings my Lutron dimmers aren't that good and there's some flicker from the bulbs (240V GU10). I've read that the danlers 10W resistive load can fix this problem and give me a better range of dimmers.

I've picked one up from my electrical wholesalers but the instructions say to wire it in parallel across one of the loads. Am I correct that I simply wire it to the terminal block at the light fitting itself?

I'm going to try one to see if it makes any difference before ordering a whole lot more for the house.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, across one of the lamps. Try that first. That may be sufficient to fool the Lutron into thinking there's enough load for it to work properly.

I do despair that we all spend time and effort to save energy with LED lamps, and then we have to double the effective energy load just so the lamps go dimmer. This is counter-intuitive. In the old days a bigger load meant brighter lights. But I suppose that is progress.

PS Maybe it is time to ask Lutron to provide equipemnt that is designed for the 21st and not the 20th century.

Depending what lutron dimmers you have, if its a dimmer pack tucked out the way the loads can go at the dimmer.
If the problems only when dimming low, it may be the dimmers are too good and your dimming too low for the lamps to function, some dimmers you can set the minimum level

Hello,

I've had an electrician add LED downlighters throughout my house. At lower dimming settings my Lutron dimmers aren't that good and there's some flicker from the bulbs (240V GU10). I've read that the danlers 10W resistive load can fix this problem and give me a better range of dimmers.

I've picked one up from my electrical wholesalers but the instructions say to wire it in parallel across one of the loads. Am I correct that I simply wire it to the terminal block at the light fitting itself?

I'm going to try one to see if it makes any difference before ordering a whole lot more for the house.

Thanks

Or just replace one of the LEDs with a GU10 halogen light.

Sponsored Links
For those that are interested, the resistive load is useless. I'll have to set the minimum trim level from the dimmer and be done with it

Maybe its not the load thats the problem, you could try increasing the load temporary by fitting a 35w or so halogen lamp just to see if it makes a difference to the other leds.
Obviously not leaving it in as it would look stupid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back