Resolving a leaking bathroom mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have enclosed a couple of photos of our leaking wall mounted bath mixer tap. We've fixed the downstairs sink taps by replacing the tap glands and was intending on doing much the same for the bath, although it's a curious old chassis it all sits inside. The particular difficulty I have here is trying to get in the thing! I have removed 2 grub screws and on looking, there's no need for an Allen-key, the grub screws have a point to them and it looks like I should now be able to remove the tap heads, but I can't! Since the pix was taken I managed to remove the blue Cold tap button to find there's no screw bolting the tap head down from above as I might have expected. So to me it looks like I have to use brute force and somehow pull the tap heads off, I've managed to pull the hot tap up and down literally about 2mm so there's a little bit of give there suggesting this is the way to go - I wondered if this was the experts recommendation and how to go about it?
I'm hoping that once removed I'll face 2 standard tap glands which I can replace

Many thanks

taps1.jpg
taps2.jpg
taps3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yes those tap heads should now pull off but it would appear that many years of water, limescale and corrosion have fused them on pretty firmly. Persistence and carefully applied brute force should eventually work but there's a fair chance the finish will be damaged as a result. As to whether you'll find standard tap glands underneath, who can say. Normally I would advise new taps in this situation but as these are wall mounted, that's not so straightforward.

Thanks for the reply! - you were right. I managed to get the tap head off through force and am now faced with what looks like a pretty standard but corroded tap glands underneath. Of course, not being knowledgeable they all look the same to me so I'll take a photo to post here and see if anyone can identify what sort I might need to get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back