responsibility of damaged wall

E

elrobbo82

i have a passage that runs under a room of another property. this passage runs from my back yard to the main street. when i purchased the house there was no notice of the passage on the plans so i had to take out indemnity insurance as this was the only exit to the yard. i have noticed that the wall holding the above room as started to crack and possibly weaken. could anybody tell me if i or the owner of the house containing the room is responsible?

Sponsored Links
You need to check your property deeds to see what you have actually bought

Your responsibility would normally end at the centre of a shared party wall or the outside edge of a wall bordering another property. The same principle would apply for soffit/ceiling above the passageway too

this wall is used as a support for above room (property 1) and the boundary between my yard (property2) and a totally different properties yard (property3). this passage is not on the deeds but i have taken an indemnity policy to claim the use of the passage.

you say you have checked the deeds and they do not mention the passage.

So you do not own it.

If they do not say you have a responsibility for maintaining the wall, you don't.

You can apply to the Land Registry for a copy of your neighbour's deeds. Perhaps they will say that he has to give you right of access through the passage. Perhaps they will say he owns it. Who can say?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back