Restoring a Victorian Fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I recently bought a 1902 house and one of the fireplaces was bricked up. I had a builder open it up and what we found can be seen in the pictures attached.

My current research leads me to think that this fireplace had firebrick panels that went into the metal frame. Could that be right?

It's been suggested to me by a fireplace supplier that I could use mouldable firebrick and "pummel" it into the frame. Would that work? What about expansion joints?

There is a loose bolt in the middle of the frame. What is that for?

How thick should the firebrick be and how long does it take to dry out? There is a review on Amazon that said three months.

I can't find pictures anywhere of what the firebrick panels and sides would have looked like. Does anyone have any hints or pointers?

At the top of the metal frame there is a gap before the curved soot-covered flue starts. Is there something missing from here? Perhaps more brickwork? Should I take care of that or can the firebrick stop where the metal frame stops?

What should the top of the firebrick look like? Should it be curved like the frame?

Does the firebrick sit on the small ledge in the metal frame at the bottom?

I can find plenty of places on the internet that sell fireplace supplies but there seems to be a lack of detailed information. If anyone has any pointers that would be great!

Thanks, Andy

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks. The problem is that the metal frame I have is not the same shape as any of those firebacks. So I would have to rip it out which I am reluctant to do.

Andy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back