Restoring an exposed brick fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new to this forum and a novice DIYer.

I have recently exposed a plastered chimney breast in my dining room and am looking on some hints and tips on cleaning up the brickwork.

I also need some advice as to whether it could do with repointing.

I have read articles about using milk paint to lighten the redness of the bricks a bit has anyone used this - any advice is appreciated.

I have uploaded a picture, red areas on pic to be removed at the weekend when I hire a breaker,

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
That brickwork is in excellent condition to be left bare, unpointed and untreated. Stiff brush it down, & accept it as it is. Painting or staining or (as some imbeciles do) varnishing will make the C/B look cheesy.

You dont need any "breaker" to remove those bits of infill brick - simply use a hammer and chisel to easily knock and pry them out.

The soot in the fire opening can be removed with a wire brush and its advisable to get the flue(s) swept.

Note: what are the dark smudges on the wall recess to the right?

Thanks ree,

The dark smudges are dirt marks caused when removing the plaster, the room is getting a full re-skim when all the major work is complete.

What about sealing the brick with a low sheen sealer after cleaning ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back