Restoring table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I want to restore this table so the middle extending leaf matches the other two. I’ve hand sanded and put on a few coats of Danish oil but looks different.

should I use an orbital sander? should I then stain it?
If so, what stain is recommended to look similar to chairs?

thank you.

pictures uploaded

Attachments

• 604F268F-3C60-446E-8C4B-9DA6184EE187.jpeg
    604F268F-3C60-446E-8C4B-9DA6184EE187.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 545321DA-93FD-4FB4-9E80-295E14AE13A1.jpeg
    545321DA-93FD-4FB4-9E80-295E14AE13A1.jpeg
    344.9 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Chairs

Attachments

• 2D064EF8-0C89-49D5-8FEA-9829F8C347F4.jpeg
    2D064EF8-0C89-49D5-8FEA-9829F8C347F4.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 50
That middle piece has aged differently because probably has been kept in a dark room (cupboard maybe?)
Unless painted it will never be the same shade of the rest.

That middle piece has aged differently because probably has been kept in a dark room (cupboard maybe?)
Unless painted it will never be the same shade of the rest.

thank you. Presumably I could wood stain the whole table and then lacquer and it should cover the difference? Or would it still be darker?

Sponsored Links
It will still be different. Unless you are a skilled polisher and can match colours, the only way to match the components is probably to sand the lot back and refinish. However, is the table top is actually solid wood or is it veneered sheet material with a solid wood lipping. This is an issue because modern commercial veneers are often well under 1mm thick (0.4 to 0.6mm) and can sand through with a power sander very quickly indeed, making refinishing problematic

thank you. Presumably I could wood stain the whole table and then lacquer and it should cover the difference? Or would it still be darker?
The only thing you can try is to match the rest of the table and the chairs by staining them of a darker colour, shade by shade until you get the desired effect.
Is it really worth it?
If it really bothers you, it would be probably easier to rebuild the middle piece and stain that to the same colour of the rest.
That could again, be only achievable with lots of trial and error.

The only thing you can try is to match the rest of the table and the chairs by staining them of a darker colour, shade by shade until you get the desired effect.
Is it really worth it?
If it really bothers you, it would be probably easier to rebuild the middle piece and stain that to the same colour of the rest.
That could again, be only achievable with lots of trial and error.

Thanks - good advice. I've decided to put on a few more coats of oil and see how it looks. If after a few months, I'll paint the table top black!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back