How to fix this table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a table from Laura Ashley which is approx 8 years old.

When our daughter was a baby she sat at one end... being a baby she was a messy eater so there was lots of table wiping involved.

As you can see from the photo it's wiped the oil/stain off the top too. We are getting a new table but I'd like to repair this one so it can be sold.

I have tried using Danish oil to bring it back but it's had no effect. It's almost like there was a stain or wax underneath the Danish oil which has also been wiped off.

If anyone has any suggestions about how this table could be renovated I would very much appreciate them.

Thanks!

IMG_2512.JPG

Sponsored Links
Wow!! that is some serious wiping!

I think you have to strip the whole top back to bare wood and start again. Nothing you do to the worn patch is ever going to match it in to the rest of the surface.

Agree whole top needs to go back to bare timber then you can oil or varnish.

Thanks for the responses all!

If I do end up taking it back to bare... do you think that's just a natural Danish oil on there? The reason I ask is that on the worn patch I have been applying Danish oil and it hasn't change the colour at all.

Since the table folds over I'd obviously like to get a good colour match with the other side.

Ta!

Sponsored Links
oiled pine will yellow over time as it is exposed to the air. Fresh cut or sanded surfaces look whiter.

You can use Colron wood dye to colour it, but you will have to clean off all traces of oil from the surface first or it will not penetrate.

I'd say sand off the whole of the "open" exposed top, dye and oil it to an even colour, it doesn't matter if it's not quite the same colour as the "closed" top.

White spirit will clean off fresh wet oil, but not once it has been exposed to the air and oxidised, it goes hard.

I don't know whether those main panels are solid or veneered. If the main panels, inside the frames are veneered, and they may well be, then you're going to have to be extremely careful when sanding or you may go through the veneer. Some tables might even have veneers on the frames as well.

I would set the likely value of the table (low) against the cost of the materials you will need, in a possibly unsuccessful attempt to renovate it. Not to mention the time.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back