Sanding kitchen oak worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I normally wipe some Danish oil over my oak worktop a couple of times a year.

It's got a few stains where it's been in contact with stuff that has been absorbed and won't wipe off.

Should I sand it before oiling it this time? Will that be effective at removing the stains?

What grade of sandpaper should I use? Should I start at 180 and finish with 240 before oiling?

Should I use a machine sander or do it by hand?

I've attached a photo - cheers for any help.

View media item 86055

Sponsored Links
Water marks are caused by trapped water, a hot iron over tissue will steam them out of the surface.

I'll give that a try.

I'm not sure the orange marks are caused by water though.

Sponsored Links
I think your sandpaper will clog with the oil residue long before you make much progress. Might be better considering steel wool and turps substitute, rinsing the wool in the turps periodically. Work with the grain, not across, or you'll end up with a right mess.
If you don't want to use steel wool then use wet&dry paper again with turps subs. 180/240 sounds a bit coarse, you might want to try something finer first to see how it goes.
If you do go with sandpaper, avoid that green stuff that the likes of B&Q sell. The dye comes out onto the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back