Sanding new oak worktop before oiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just installed a brand new oak worktop. unfortunately the edges of the joins are a millimeter or two out due to the tops being ever so slightly different thicknesses etc.

I was wanting advice on how to smooth these down.

Should I hand sand with block (120, 240 or 320 grit?)
Should I use a linear sander with one or all above grits?
should i use a small orbital sander?

im worried I might catch an edge if i sand by hand and tear some of the wood strips

I have bought some good quality danish oil to go on after the sanding, should i wipe down with anything first like white spirit?

Thanks

Image of the worktop so far:

IMG_20160501_174136304.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hand plane then belt sander starting at 80 grit and working to 120 before hand finishing. Oak is an open pore timber so going beyond 180 grit is probably a waste of effort - you aren't sanding a car body or Corian! Wipe down with a cloth damped with white spirit to remove dust when finished

My next door neighbour had a similar problem, and I used a palm sander with 60 grit, then 120, 180, and then finally 240 on a hand sander in the direction of the grain. I'd never done it before so took it cautiously, but it came up a treat. Be careful to stay on the high side of the joint though.

My next door neighbour had a similar problem, and I used a palm sander.
You must have a lot of patience - to me life is too short and in any case orbital sanders always seem to leave swirls marks to my eye

Sponsored Links
I did say I was being cautious because I hadn't done it before, but it didn't take too long, and the swirls was why I hand finished in the direction of the grain. Next time I'll follow your tip and use the belt sander, thanks for the suggestion as I may have another one to do soon.

I generally do the heavy work with a hand plane (not a power planer - too difficult to control finely) because unlike a sander it won't dub over the edge on a raised joint. I understand why many DIYers really reluctant to plane stuff given the poor quality of lower cost planes combined with a lack of knowledge on how to sharpen

id defo bodge it with a plane, i cant plane a door let alone a work top lol. the sanders seem like the option to me as a little easier for a DIYer to get right.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back