Wood Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have cut a Solid oak kitchen worktop up and used this for my hand rail on the stairs.

I have sanded it with 320 grit sand paper to get a really smooth finish and would like an oil which would just finish this off.

Can any one recommend a product that would give me a smooth and not darken the wood too much

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi George,

If you're looking for an oil then I'd go for Danish Oil from Smith & Rodger. This specific brand produces a satin/matt finish, is very durable and will not the change the colour of the timber in comparison to other oils. 2-3 coats are recommended leaving approximately 9 hours between coats and if required you could thin the first coat with 10% White Spirit.

Coverage is approximately 10-12 sq m per litre.

I hope this information helps but please come back with any other questions.

Thank you for your reply and your help

Why would or what is the benefit in diluting the oil by 10% with White Spirit?

Thanks

The only reason that some people thin the first coat by approx 10% white spirit is so that the oil is absorbed more deeply into the grain of the wood.

Sponsored Links
Just to let you all know the Danish Oil from Smith & Rodger worked a treat. The finished wood looks better than I had imagined.

Would you add a wax after the 3rd coat of Danish Oil? I have read somewhere that you should apply a wax with the finest wire wool -"0000" gauge.

Thanks for your help

Steel wool is not usually recommended for use on oak, as iron can react with tannins in the wood to produce unsightly staining.

Whether this would actually be the case after several coats of oil, I don't know, but it might be safer to use a fine grade Scotch nylon abrasive or something similar.

Wire wool will be fine. But I would go for 320 or 500 grit paper to denib before applying the wax.

And you can use these to apply wax.

It’s a combination of mild steel (iron) and water that give you problems and the water can come from a damp atmosphere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back