Restoring the lettering on characters that are indented

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Hope my post is kosher. I have some things that are mostly made of bakelite, some made of plastic (radio crystals actually). The lettering on them is in fact indented into the bakelite, and paint fills the indentations.

Now, when I clean the things, the paint will be removed from the indentations, which is problemmatical. So, what I want to know is, what kind of pencil-like product could I use to refill the indentations? And will stick well to bakelite and plastic. Any suggestions? Needs to be white in colour. The idea is that I'll rub a pencil-like product over the indentations, which will take the pencil material, and then I'll simply wipe away any material left on the surface leaving the lettering clearly visable.Thanks. Rich

Sponsored Links
I have an idea that it can be done with a wax crayon or pastel stick.

how about a thin layer of petroleum jelly over the surface and spray them. Then wipe the jelly off? Never tried it mind you so don't blame me if it all goes horribly wrong !

Sponsored Links
On vehicles, people use a tiny brush and model paint, then use a cloth to wipe off excess
Or

Last edited:
A note in case you are unaware - Bakelite often contains a filler and asbestos was commonly used, therefore wear a mask and try to keep the surface damp if you are sanding, scraping, filing or sawing it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back