Tidy up / level off outside column

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have this 8ft or 9ft high column (1 of 4) near my front door and it has a platform where I've stuck a statue of Buddha. As you can see. I think, maybe, something else was there way before I bought the house.

Column.jpg

The top of the platform is not very level at all, with lots of lumps and bumps and indentations... I'd like to level it all off, so it's nice and smooth, then paint it over in the same black. This is 'cos I'd like to put some LED lights up there and I'd like a nice flat surface for them with, possibly, a slight ridge around the outside.

What would be my best product / material to use for this?

I believe the column is made of concrete... can I just buy a bag of concrete from Wickes or should I use something else... mortar, silicone, Polyfilla?!?! How will I ensure it's got a smooth finish?

If I put something appropriate on there and manage to level it all out, can I then just paint it with outdoor masonry paint, or do I need to prepare it some other way?

Apologies for the naïve question... never done anything like this before.

Sponsored Links
With that amount of detail in the moulding, and with the sharp unchipped edge on it, is it cast iron? I'm not any sort of architectural expert, but it sort of has that look to me. Try a magnet on it.
If it is use car body filler to level it off. Could also work if it's made from other materials.

Hi, I've just put a magnet up against it and I can confirm it's in no way magnetic. Maybe it's some kind of moulded plaster? But it's exposed to the elements, so maybe not?

Ah! It must be that special non-magnetic iron then! :)
(In other words I haven't got a clue! :))

Sponsored Links
Cant really see how bumpy it is, but would it be possible to grind the high spots away with an angle grinder with a stone disc?
Just thinking that a thin skim of cement may just crack away in time.
John :)

I am thinking that I would like to fill in the indentations to get something that is at least more level than it is now (the indentations are quite deep and there is a lot of them, sorry it doesn't show very well in the photo - I was balancing precariously on the fifth rung of my ladders while taking it).

I don't think I want to cut some tiles and put them on the top, although it would be a great level surface and very good for being weatherproof.

What should I put into the depressions? Mortar? Concrete? Something else? I guess that it doesn't have to be perfect (no-one's going to see it, it's for function rather than form), but if I can make it smooth and, then, paintable I will be happy.

Appreciate the thoughts on this.

Its perfect for painting......it also resists water well but it doesnt like to be wet continuously. Solid or elastic types are available - it doesnt really matter which you use in this case.

Researching this... so, if I was to pop down to Halfords, should I get some Hardener as well? Is that requirement for using this stuff, or does most of it come with Hardener built-in?

This filler seems to provide a good amount for £s...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-body-fillers/u-pol-quick-sand-670ml

Although this looks good too...

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-body-fillers/plastic-padding-ultima[/QUOTE]

The filler comes complete with its hardener......its a two pack mix, a pea size of hardener to a golf ball of filler is about right (quote Edd China Esq)

I've not hung about, been out and bought the first link. Yes, it comes with Hardener and a plastic utensil for applying. May give it a shot this afternoon.

So... gloop placed into all the biggest indentations. Let's see what happens.

Gloop.jpg

This was quite messy... and the "sticking down a floor tile" idea did become a tad more appealing when tinkering with this stuff (smells nice, though!)...

...there are still some ridges that I must deal with... I don't want to build it all up to the same level, but I don't have anything better than a triangle handheld sander and I gave that a go but it didn't seem to make much impact when using 40 and 80 grit sandpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back