restoring this summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this has been neglected for a few years and I now want to restore it and require your advice please.

I'm happy with the felting but unsure on how I should approach the wood and which products I should use. The current product is flaking off and in a few spots there is rotten timber.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WP_20180407_07_33_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180407_07_33_23_Pro.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 326
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had advice on this?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
S

sodthisforfun

In my opinion rotten timber should be removed and replaced ideally. If just small areas and starting to rot you could use wood hardener, and/or dig it out and use wood filler.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/ronseal-wet-rot-wood-hardener-clear-500ml/63540
Then remove as much as the peeling paint as possible and repaint. You could use anything suitable for outside but if fancy a colour then am a fan of the cuprinol garden shades range. May work well with your summerhouse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply. A couple of follow-up questions if I may please:
1. On the peeling paint, do I use a scraper and scrape as much of this as possible before re-coating or do i need to sand down, etc.
2. If I wanted to go for an oak finish, can I use the same stuff I've used on the fence panels, e.g. Ronseal

On the roof felt, I was planning to cut a section of felt for each octagon part of the roof and then have the new piece overlapping and have a small wooden batten coming down each joining edge of the roof octagons to hide the felt join. Is that the way to go?

Sponsored Links
S

sodthisforfun

Scrape, sand, up to you and the final finish quality you want :) And yes, you can paint it with anything that is suitable for exterior so the ronseal you used on the fence is fine. If it's a lighter colour on your fence than what is already on the summer house then it won't cover the colour already there evenly of course.