Restoring wooden kitchen worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered before, but I did a search and couldn't find an answer to the slight problem I've got.

We moved house last year and our new home has a basement flat with a really well fitted kitchen. The issue is that as it was rented, the tenants just didn't care about the wooden worktop, leaving large areas blackened and one dark burn mark from a hot pan.

I've managed to get rid of all the marks by sanding back then rubbing down with steel wool. I've now applied several coats of Ronseal Worktop Oil (which claims to have anti-bacterial properties as it contains silver). However the original finish was reasonably shiny (although I know it was not a lacquer finish). Whilst I've made the worktop waterproof, how can I produce a slight sheen to the final coat rather than a completely matt finish I'm now left with? Have I not sanded it smooth enough? Is there any way of rectifying this now I've oiled it - I don't want a lacquer ontop, just oil. Will Tung oil sort it out?

Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back