Restrictive Convenants

They may go with the land but they also need someone to be able to enforce them

Of course they need someone to enforce them. Whether the landowner chooses to or not is irrelevant to the fact is any covenant is enforceable by the beneficiary, and does not become unenforceable over time or with the passage of ownership.

Sponsored Links
may not be enforceable now especially if neither of the parties are around to enforce it.

The covenants run with the land, not parties. So the beneficiary is the landowner and successors to the land.

Is it always really that simple? I was about to buy a place last year that had a covenant. The beneficiary was dead, and after some Googling it seemed there was case law to say that depending on the type of covenant then a persons heirs wouldn't be able to enforce. The purchase didn't go ahead so I didn't ever get any 'real' advice on it, but having just looked again, I came across this post on this other forum:

Other restrictive covenants (those that are negative in substance) may still be enforceable by anyone who can show that they have the benefit of the covenants. It is only covnenats that forbid some action (generally building work or change of use) without the consent of a specifcc name person or company that will cease to be enforceable when that person dies or the company is dissolved.

Of course if the covenant goes on to say something like: "without the consent of Somecompany Limited or its successors in title to [some nearby property]" then that is a differnt matter.

from

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forum...nant-from-dissolved-company-still-enforceable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back