Property Deeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the last couple of years my locale has seen a number of house and property ownership changes.
What I've found is that many people do not have a copy of the House Deeds and then do not know about responsibilities and restrictions on the property. What does seem to happen is that they see the documents at the solicitors on the day of purchase and then never see them again until they get them back from the loan provider. It's not difficult to ask for a copy - most loan companies will agree to this or even the solicitor will take a copy for the purchaser when asked.
The document is useful to identify boundaries & responsibilities, parking restrictions, fencing, external decorations, rights of way (both public and private).
In the end it also makes the loan providers life easier as they shouldn't get drawn into insurance or neighbour disputes.

I suggest that people ask for and keep a copy of the Deeds (most new copiers will watermark copies with 'Copy') with them.

I've certainly saved myself quite a few quid and much trouble by holding a copy.

Sponsored Links
For the average Joe, you park your car on the drive, and you own one side fence and possibly the fence at the top of the garden.

That's all you need to know from the deeds.

There is also the option of just talking to the neighbours.

Sponsored Links
For the average Joe, you park your car on the drive, and you own one side fence and possibly the fence at the top of the garden.

That's all you need to know from the deeds.

You won't get any of that from the deeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back