Retaining Wall - A Big Thank You

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is just to say a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who made suggestions and gave me advice during my retaining wall project. I really appreciated all your help.

I have a few (ahem) pictures to show you how it progressed:

A lot of digging:
1foundations.jpg

Starting to build the columns:
1fouo.jpg

1foup.jpg

1fourcolumns.jpg

Back skin of dense concrete blocks:
2treeblocks.jpg

Metal rod insertion:
3housewallblocks.jpg

Upside down I know:
4halfway.jpg

Now the correct way up:
5halfway2.jpg

Coping Stones going on:
6coping4.jpg

6coping4_1.jpg

6coping4_2.jpg

6coping4_3.jpg

Corner caps:
7cornercaps.jpg

Before the steps:
8prestep.jpg

Support for the steps:
presteps.jpg

4 hours with cardboard templates and an angle grinder:
Steps.jpg

I'm very happy it has been finished, you've all been such a help. Plus the wife's pleased, and that's always a good thing!

Sponsored Links
Did you tie in the main wall with the pillars in anyway, looking at the pics seems to indicate you have just butted them up to the pillars? If this is the case are you relying on the steels to give the extra support?

Looks a super job though, can you tell us the cost?

the gap in the middle step is 1mm furter to the right than the others :LOL:

lovely job, well done.

dj.

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
Did you tie in the main wall with the pillars in anyway, looking at the pics seems to indicate you have just butted them up to the pillars? If this is the case are you relying on the steels to give the extra support?

In some of the photos you can just see the wall starter packs I used to tie-in the walls to the columns.

nstreet said:
Looks a super job though, can you tell us the cost?

As for the cost, hmm, probably about £2000. Pickaxe, spade, concrete, bricks, starter packs, ties, blocks, bricks, spirit levels, string, wood, gravel, sharp sand, soft sand, cement, a new drill, wheelbarrow, angle grinder hire, waterproof membrane, 2 trowels, stanley knife, bolster chisel (already got), screws, rawlplugs, big drill bits, metal rods, coping stones, corner caps, pointing tool, rubber mallet, hammer (already got), plastic sheeting for protection, numerous pairs of gloves, numerous plasters, savlon....

It has also cost me 2 stone in weight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back