Possible to build retaining wall without ugly engineering bricks?

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am a lay person, so please excuse my ignorance here ...

Our drive is about 30-50cm above the pavement level. The current retaining wall (about 1m tall) is single skin (some kind of faux grey stone) and seems to have been patched up a few times. We've been told it should be replaced with a brick wall that is two bricks thick - or something along those lines as single skin isn't so strong. And we've been told that we'll have to use engineering bricks.

But they don't look very appealing (sorry if this sounds vain). Is there any way to build a retaining wall with a nicer facing brick?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Engineering brick just means it has been fired at a higher temperature than standard bricks, it makes them more resistant to the frost.
There are various grades and styles even within "engineering bricks", you also do not have to use the same brick on both sides.
So look around at the choices available, their might be one you really do like.

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
You should not judge poor old engineering bricks.
:mad:.

But you have been told incorrectly.

• Thanks
Hi,
I am a lay person, so please excuse my ignorance here ...

Our drive is about 30-50cm above the pavement level. The current retaining wall (about 1m tall) is single skin (some kind of faux grey stone) and seems to have been patched up a few times. We've been told it should be replaced with a brick wall that is two bricks thick - or something along those lines as single skin isn't so strong. And we've been told that we'll have to use engineering bricks.

But they don't look very appealing (sorry if this sounds vain). Is there any way to build a retaining wall with a nicer facing brick?

Thank you.
As long as the brick is rated then its ok. All bricks are sold with a durability rating, you just need to find one suitable...

Sponsored Links
Noseall, please put your lid on the correct way. The label should be at the back out of view. :D

As long as the brick is rated then its ok. All bricks are sold with a durability rating, you just need to find one suitable...
Nice retaining walls! Do you know where the bricks were purchased from and what they are called?

Can you please tell me what rating should I be looking for?

This one says "F2 rated for frost resistance". Is that what is needed?
Yes 'F2' is good. But with porous bricks you also need to look at salts content. 'S2' would be good.

• Thanks
Do you know where the bricks were purchased from and what they are called?
The ones in the image are called 'Oast russet' and are F2/S2 rated. They are irregular shaped hence my choice is to flush the joints ad rub. Striking or bar jointing tends to look wavy with irregular shaped bricks.

• Thanks
Thanks @noseall . Those bricks (I like them!) have a water absorption of <= 21%. But Internet tells me an engineering brick should have < 7%.

So what is stopping the water seeping through your retaining wall?

PavingExpert has a diagram of a retaining wall with a DPM. Is that the bit that I am missing here? And I guess engineering bricks are not need with DPM and hence why you say look for F2/S2?
The bricks are backed up with 7n dense concrete blocks and only showing Oast Russests on the uppermost courses i.e. where visible etc. There is also 1200G polythene up the back of the wall. You may be able to spot the edges of it poking above the soil...

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back