Building a retaining wall for a garden - does it need to be single or double skin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of building a retaining wall for a proposed patio. I was wondering if the retaining wall needs to be arranged as a double skin wall or if a single skin wall will suffice. Any other precautions that I need to take with the building of the wall. I intent to use the left over class 2 Engineering bricks. Its about 300mm deep, the wall will be about 500mm in height.

1660072203348.png

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
But be aware that the force trying to push the wall over (the soil and ignoring any load on the patio) will be greater than the force holding the wall in place (weight of the wall) so it could be pushed over. The foregoing ignores any tensile forces developing in the mortar/brick beds so it may be OK but as the mortar may be subject to constant dampness it may not. I assume by single skin you mean 1/2 brick i.e. 102.5mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back