Retaining wall advise needed please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that its a big as of you guys since this is my first post but i am getting myself in a right tizz about this dilema the more i look the more i get confused, i realy need some desisive information PLEASE!!!!
We have dug out ready to do a retaining wall but we carnt decide which way to go ahead.
Basic out line is, it is to form a patio area around the house and will be reataining the garden, also there has to be steps intigrated into it to get to the house. It is around 22mtrs long with an averaging height from ground level to the top of garden of 1.6mtrs heigh.(when patio is down viz height would be about 1.4mtrs)

option 1) Railway sleepers fitted verticaly so can curve easiley by the steps.
But Is it possable to get straight reclamed hardwood sleepers worked out we'd need about 110 of them.
How deep would they need to be in the ground?
Would they need wet or dry concrete?
Would i need to put drainage behind?
Would i need to fix them together? if so bolts or the sleeper staples or just tanalized batton screwed behind them?
Do i need to slope them back slightly into the garden or can i fix them true vertical?

Option 2) Hollow block. Now i belive i would need 400mm thick and footings of 8" deep and 600mm wide. Does this sound right as iv also read that the footing need to be the same width as the height of the wall?

Could i use 9" hollow blocks end on as a block is 415mm long?
How heigh would you recomend i put steel bar in the footings so i can then place the hollows over and fill with cemente to get a good fix to the footings, and also at what spacings?
Now do i need to slope the wall into the garden slightly or can i build a true vertical wall?
What type of drainage requirments would be required?

Any advise will be greatly recived
Kind regards

Sponsored Links
RT walls of that height really need structural engineers input. The Forum is littered with failed retaining walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back