Retaining wall collapsing

If there is no T indicating ownership of this boundary wall on the deeds plan there should be some clause stating that in these sort of situations the wall/fence is mesne and in this case you share responsibility for maintenance with your neighbour. I have not long ago been involved with this sort of situation with the maintenance of fencing /walls around a parking court my house shares with 2 other houses where the fencing/walls abut two houses outside the parking area.

Sponsored Links
If there are no inverted Ts on the OPs deeds, that does not mean that they won't be on the neighbours deeds.

If there are no inverted Ts on the OPs deeds, that does not mean that they won't be on the neighbours deeds.
Conveyancing plans don't just show the one plot, they show surrounding plots as well, if there is a T on this particular boundary shown on the neighbour's deeds won't it also be shown on the OP's deeds :?: I think so.

Not necessarily, but then it will only cost about £4 to see.

Sponsored Links
Conveyancing plans don't just show the one plot, they show surrounding plots as well, if there is a T on this particular boundary shown on the neighbour's deeds won't it also be shown on the OP's deeds :?: I think so.
No, easements and covenants will be on individual deeds.

No, easements and covenants will be on individual deeds.
- and these will show or describe the situation regarding ownership of the structures on the boundary of the plot as I said in my original post.

- and these will show or describe the situation regarding ownership of the structures on the boundary of the plot as I said in my original post.
Oh. I must have missed the bit where you mentioned to check the neighbours deeds

Do you know where this information is held? As I don’t have any individual property info, only things that show the cluster of properties around us.
Land registry should have anything that's available. If nothing mentioned then its a case of relying on established law.

he deeds available from a Land Registry show a red line. That’s all.
Yes, that is right but there will also be a plan showing things as described in my original post. I have prepared lots of these sort of plans for housing developments liaising with solicitors on information to be shown for conveyancing and the Land Registry.

Oh. I must have missed the bit where you mentioned to check the neighbours deeds
Don't know what you are talking about. Why would you need to check the neighbour's deeds to find the situation regarding your property ?

Over time the wall has started to rotate on the footing

over what sort of period of time?

I dont think that wall will collapse anytime soon -does it have any weep holes, if not it could be due to water pressure rather than a moving foundation.

Why would you need to check the neighbour's deeds to find the situation regarding your property ?
o_O

Because if they have a covenant or easement in your favour, that wont necessarily be on your deeds.

it could be due to water pressure
On a wall 7 courses high?

It would need to be a tsunami, and the OP would notice because his own front room carpets would be soaked. And it would be on the news.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back