Retaining Wall / Fence Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace a fence at the rear of a property. At the edge of property boundary there is a drop of 35 feet or so supported by a concrete crib retaining wall. Currently the fence posts are about two and a half feet foward from the top of the retaining wall.

My question is how close to the top of the wall can I place the new posts

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You can place them on your property.

If that is right at the edge then you can place them at the edge.

However with a big drop do you really want to?

Is there a pathway at the top to allow for maintenance?
If you place them on the edge is the fence more likely to get blown down and fall below?

Does your land extend to the edge?

Myself, I would come back from the wall a little so that I am not interfering with the wall, the last thing I'd want is anything to do with it as they can get costly.

Yes you can generally put a fence up fairly close to criblock, but I would leave a 750mm to 1m gap if I was you. The criblock isn't doing too much structurally at the very top, but why risk any issues?

http://www.retainingwallsnw.com/pages/multi.html#

Also, dependant how exposed the area is, consider hit + miss or weldmesh fencing so it's constantly not blowing over etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back