Building a new lean to at the side of the garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering building a lean to at the side of our garage. At the moment it's just an open space with a fence and gate at the front leading down to the back garden. It's a really annoying shape, and not really wide enough for a shed, so thinking about just covering the whole space to the edge of the property. It's a space 2.4m wide at the front of the garage, narrowing to 1.4m by the time it reaches the back. A total length of 6.6m.

My plan is to leave the fence but pave the whole area leaving a gravel strip at the boundary. There's a small retaining wall with a drop of about 50 cm to the neighbours front garden (there house is set back further than ours). My plan was then to put in vertical supports on the boundary (against the retaining wall) and run rafters from the garage at a height of about 2.2m, which is about as high as I can go because of the soffit on the garage at 2.3m. Planned to use clear poly roofing with a gutter at the low side, making sure there's no overhang of the boundary.

I've done this type of construction before, but never against the house or boundary. I'm pretty sure I don't need PP, as it's a detached house in a standard residential estate. Not listed. Not a conservation area, etc. My only worry is the boundary retaining wall. There's a fence bolted to it at the moment, but wondered if I could run into trouble placing posts right up against it? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If it's a relatively modern estate, just check that permitted developemnt rights have not been withdrawn - otherwise you should be OK.

If you're planning on using the cheap corrugated polycarbonate, be wary- it is very fragile especially if there's a frost. Might want to think about fibreglass instead- about £5/sq m on Ebay for short sheets which are all you'll need. Plus you don't need all those foam infills to stop it rattling in the wind

If you're planning on using the cheap corrugated polycarbonate, be wary- it is very fragile especially if there's a frost. Might want to think about fibreglass instead- about £5/sq m on Ebay for short sheets which are all you'll need. Plus you don't need all those foam infills to stop it rattling in the wind

Yeah, had bad experiences with cheap poly in the past. :) I was planning to use the twin wall stuff. It's more expensive, but I won't need that much. The whole roof will be less than 14 sq/m. Thanks for the tip. I'll have a look at the fibreglass stuff as well.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back