Can I build up to my boundary line?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just drawing up some rough plans of a 8M X 2.2M brick work shop to show the local authority that I want to build onto the side of our house and out to the boundary.
The fence on that side is ours and I plan to remove the fence and build the workshop with a parapet style roof with no overhang on the wall, with this in mind am I right in saying I should be able to build the wall right up to my boundary? and would I take the boundary at the moment as being the front face, back face or middle of my fence posts?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
is it your fence ??
whose land is it on??

non off your building can cross the boundery facias overhangs and guttering must be on your land
also you cannot discharge water off your roof over the boundery
also you cannot open a window over the boundery

Big-all

When you say discharge water off your roof over the boundary. I assume you mean you cannot have a down pipe coming off the guttering over the boundary?

Even a parapet wall requires some overhang.

Your foundations would also need to encroach. This not as big a deal though you would need to ensure that the neighbours have no services or drains etc, close to where you intend digging.

Sponsored Links
Big-all

When you say discharge water off your roof over the boundary. I assume you mean you cannot have a down pipe coming off the guttering over the boundary?

or water off your roof crossing the boundary

You would need to apply the provisions of the Party Wall Act, but under that, you have the right to allow encroachment of the foundation onto the neighbouring property, but only if they are of plain concrete (ie not reinforced concrete).
The wall itself must not encroach.

Thanks for the replys so far.
Yep the fence is mine, the front wall of the worshop will be right by the rain water down pipe, and regarding the party wall act doesn't the property next door have to be a certain distance to our boundary to apply? as we have there garden next to us and not there house.

Thanks for the replys so far.
Yep the fence is mine, the front wall of the worshop will be right by the rain water down pipe, and regarding the party wall act doesn't the property next door have to be a certain distance to our boundary to apply? as we have there garden next to us and not there house.
Depends. If neighbours building is within 3m of your excavation you might have to serve a notice under s6. If you build astride the line of junction you serve a notice under s1. If you build so your wall is within your boundary (the outside face can be on the line of junction) this is not a party wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back