Retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was looking for some advice on building a retaining wall in my garden and would appreciate any comments or help you can give.

I am going to be building the wall with 7n concrete blocks and was wondering if i should lay the first course blocks on their side and then two normal courses on top which would give a 15mm gap or if i could just lay two courses and have a 50mm gap to enable me to use my bricky tool. I would then fill the gap with concrete. as attached

The height of soil to hold back is 750mm so i was going to have a 200mm deep and 500mm wide foundation with the top of the foundation 150mm below the lower ground level. This would then give a total retained height of 900mm. Would it be a good idea to build a deeper flange into the foundation to help prevent slippage or would this be a waste of time?

thanks very much
Trevor

Sponsored Links
a standard 9" wall will be more than adequate. you could bond the blocks with alternate courses laid flat if you wish.

150mm projection beyond both leaves will suffice.

lay the foundation a little bit deeper or until all the fertile stuff is gone.

Sponsored Links
thanks noseall appreciate the advice. I will lay blocks flat on alternate courses and dig deeper foundations.

thanks
Trevor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back