Retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a 24" retaining wall in my garden,

Ideally i would use a double thickness brick wall but with my bricklaying skills it would take me months and look awful.

So what i would like to use is a single wall of block and then use decking to face it.

My question is what sort of block would i need to use, I have looked at 140mm hollow block but im not sure if this would be ok ? and the foundation blocks look ideal but are to pricey

Sponsored Links
Hi, Adam,
You do not say how high this retaining wall will be, is it straight?
At 8 yards (if I'm reading you right) it sounds similar to another posting we've had recently, perhaps you could read the replies to that, it might help.

Cant seem to find the other post,

The more i read the more im getting confused ?

For foundations i was planning 6"deep 12" wide, is this enough ?

Would it be better to use a single wall of foundation blocks or a twin wall of medium density blocks ?

Sponsored Links
Ok Adam,
the other post was under building / retaining wall.
The founds you propose sound too small.
dig down at least 18" and 18" wide. but it depends on the make up of the ground.
Forget about foundation blocks and the like. if the wall is to be seen from one side, that will be the face side, and you need to decide how you want it to look.
There are various options, from slag blocks laid flat to bricks laid in English bond for strength.
Read through all the associated threads, and then get a builder in to tell you what needs doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back