retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi does anyone have any plans or designs for a garden retaining wall of approx 1.8m high. how big do the foundations need to be, how thick should the wall be to retain this amount of soil

cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
How about some old lorry tyres stacked on top of each other?
Seen one like that a while back on a road siding. :eek:

I would envisage the first row being laid, then filled with soil and then the second row starting a little back to give it some slope and so on.
So from top to bottom on 1.8m tall you'd probably have about 18" of slope.

What do the se's think? A retaining wall made from lorry tyres?
A feasible option or something your more likely to see whilst on holiday in a banana republic?

Obviously I'd shutter the whole thing with concrete but just floating the tyre idea. :mrgreen:

This might help. I did a 8ft retaining wall a year ago,. I based it on the walls of the neighbouring garden. Not the guy on the right as he only used a single layer of block the whole height and it is now cracked and leaning forward

The pictures show the stages

Original garden extending to the road
retwall1a.jpg

After removal of about 12ft
retwall1.jpg

Shuttering for foundation which is about 35cm deep and has 5 drainage pipes through it as there is a spring which comes out of the bed rock in three places
retwall6.jpg

foundation poured
retwall7.jpg

Starting the build 2 blocks thick for about half way. Stainless steel ties used to tie new wall to existing wall
retwall8.jpg

one and half blocks thick for quarter way
retwall9.jpg

Single block for a quarter
retwall11.jpg

Side wall right side
retwall10.jpg

Back filled
retwall12.jpg

Finished left view
retwall13.jpg

Almost finished right view
retwall14.jpg

Sponsored Links
Your neighbours wall poses a serious risk to life and limb. That could topple over without warning in a split second.
It should be knocked down asap and rebuilt.

Your neighbours wall poses a serious risk to life and limb. That could topple over without warning in a split second.
It should be knocked down asap and rebuilt.

Agreed. Fortunately the only thing that goes in front of that wall is two cars. Its more likely he'll pay through his pocket. He is aware of the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back