retiling roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to re-tile and install a membrane to the roof of my house. The roof has 6 slopes to it , 4 valleys and 3 gable ends involved in the section which needs to be re-tiled. (a lot of roof considering the size of house !) The tiles are simple clay tiles. Due to time constraints I would aim to do one slope at a time. I would hope to be able to get the tiles of one slope and cover it in a membrane in one day ? Failing that i would hope to get the tiles off one slope and cover it with a tarporline and then do the membrane the next day. After that with the membrane in place with some temporary battons I would tackle the verge and valley and then do the battons.
There were a couple of things I would like to ask anyone knowledgeable enough to know. Firstly, when the membrane is placed and used as a temporary covering until the tiles are placed what do you do with it at the ridge, verge and valley to temporarily secure and stop it flapping around in the breeze and letting water in. Secondly when you fit the undercloaking to the verge, say cement fibre board, do you bed it onto a shallow bed of mortar layed onto the top edge of the wall and if so do you lay the membrane ontop of the top edge of the gable brick wall, then put the mortar bed onto the membrane and then the undercloaking ontop of that ?
Any advice would be very much appreciatied

Sponsored Links
"due to time constraints" you will possibly end up in a very expensive DIY mess. You should not be coming and going on a roofing job.

I admire your willingness to tackle the roof you describe but its not a DIY job.
Probably no full re-roofing is. In fact, should any DIY'er be on a roof? If you have a family i'd say that it was irresponsible of you.

Your method and your questions indicate more or less ignorance of what you could be getting into.

I agree, the job of re-tiling my roof may simply not be practical as a DIY task and not having any experience would obviously make things difficult. Having said that nothing worth having ever comes easily and there are a lot of advantages which modern scaffolding, materials, tools etc would give me which the men who built the roof in the 1930s would not have had.
I may not attempt it but I am keen to find out in theory at least how it would be done.

Sponsored Links
That's a lot of roof that requires accurate cutting(valleys/verges etc)to look presentable and one I would not recommend to anyone with little or no experience.

It will be a very expensive mistake if you get it wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back